Are you passionate about the anime industry? Aspiring toward a career in voice acting, animation, digital art, or more? Through our carefully-curated Career Track, we want to give our attendees the chance to learn from experienced professionals in anime and entertainment industries through information panels, discussions, and workshops. Check out the programming that will be offered at AX 2019 below!
For information about lining up and room entry, please see the Program Room Policies.
Wednesday, July 3 (Pre-Show Night):
- NYAV Post: Wanna know what goes into creating award-winning dubs like Mirai, Your Name, A Silent Voice? Join Michael Sinterniklaas and the NYAV Post team and find out what’s next.
- LP4 (411) @ 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- How to Audition: Tips & ADR Workshop by Bang Zoom! Considering a career in voice acting? Want to know what it takes to nail that audition and dub for an anime series? Come learn all the steps and methods from the Bang Zoom team to have a stellar audition!
- WS1 (403 B) @ 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
- Fan Art, Fair Use, and Foul Play: What is fair use, exactly—and how do I utilize it? How does fair use play out in the world of fanworks? What can I do if I find someone using my stuff? Join copyright expert Jack Lerner as he returns by popular demand to Anime Expo for this mini-seminar on everything you need to know about fair use and copyright law.
- LP1 (Petree Hall) @ 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Day 1 – Thursday, July 4:
- BECOMING A WORKING VOICE ACTOR: The world of voice acting is exploding with new career opportunities. But the big money in voice acting is not all character animation. Most of it is in voicing product commercials, using one’s normal speaking voice. You can do both, and this panel will show you how to train, break in and get paid. Plus, 4 lucky audience members will be chosen to take part in a LIVE VOICEOVER AUDITION, coached and directed by the panelists. The winner (chosen by audience vote) will get two free tickets to That’s Voiceover!™ Career Expo on November 16th 2019 at the Hilton Universal Hotel.
- LP1 (Petree Hall) @ 10:30 AM -12:00 PM
- Audio Engineering with Bang Zoom! Want to be an audio engineer? Ever wonder about the technical side of dubbing anime? Let the Pros at Bang Zoom! show you some of the ropes of the audio post-prodution industry in an intimate and interactive setting!
- WS1 (403 B) @ 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- So You Want To Be An Anime Voice Actor? You love watching anime, but have you ever wanted to VOICE an anime character? Learn the ins and outs of voicing anime directly from some of the best voice actors and producers in the industry during this interactive panel!
- LP1 (Petree Hall) @2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Day 2 – Friday, July 5:
- “Koma-Wari” – Composition & Panel Layouts for Comics: MinoMiyabi will offer comic enthusiasts, and aspiring artists of all ages, fundamental tutorials on how to compose and frame scenes of a story using page splitting and camera angle techniques to introduce emotions and tension within a story.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Day 3 – Saturday, July 6:
- HYPERKIN PRESENTS: Working in the Retro Video Game Industry: Hyperkin is an LA-based video game company that specializes in making retro and modern gaming hardware. Hear detailed accounts from Terence Calacsan and Celia Schilling, representing a company that’s making its mark as a unique and innovative developer.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- How To Draw Manga And Portfolio Review: eigoMANGA creators will hold a tutorial workshop to teach the fundamentals of manga illustration and storytelling. They will also be on hand to critique portfolios from up-and-coming artists.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Digital Art Workflow Management: Digital art tools are more important than ever in the professional art world. Knowing how to navigate digital workflows is crucial knowledge for any artist taking their art beyond their own sketchbook. Join artist and illustrator Nila MacGruder as she details her own digital workflow.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
- Breaking Into Anime Journalism: Anime News Network executive editor Zac Bertschy and some special guests share candid advice about the best way to get a paying gig writing about anime for a living.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Creating Characters That Stand Out: Learn from industry professional concept artist, illustrator, and teacher Patrick Ballesteros as he walks you through the secrets of creating anime characters that stand out from the crowd. Patrick teaches at CG Master Academy, the Concept Design Academy, and conducts his own workshops.
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
Day 4 – Sunday, July 7:
- JET Program 101: Want to live and work in Japan? Want to share your language and culture with the Japanese people and learn theirs? Learn more about the JET program, and we’ll show you how to get started. Meet the JET coordinator and alumni and hear our stories, experiences, and answers to your questions!
- WS1 (403 B) @ 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- The environments of foreign nationals working in Japan: CyberConnect2 is a Japanese game development company that has studios in Fukuoka and Tokyo, Japan as well as Montreal, Canada. At CyberConnect2 we have developed well-known games such as the “.hack” series, the “Naruto: Ultimate Ninja” series, as well as “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven,” “Solatorobo: Red the Hunter,” and “Asura’s Wrath” among others. However, our focus is not just on video games; we are also expanding our horizons to the creation of videos as well as manga comics. Our speakers will present to you about the support being offered to foreign nationals working in Japan, the working environment for non-Japanese employees at CyberConnect2, and adding in a few stories from their own experience, will explain the charms of working in Japan.
- WS1 (403 B) @ 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- How to draw Manga with XP-Pen & CLIP STUDIO PAINT: Bring your Manga and Anime characters to life! Get the latest tips and tricks on creating your own digital characters using XP-Pen Pen Displays and Tablets & CLIP STUDIO PAINT. One XP-pen tablet will be given away too. Stop by the XP-Pen booth to enter to win prizes in our daily drawing contests!
- WS2 (406 AB) @ 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Anime Expo 2019 will run from July 4 through July 7 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, with Pre-Show Night on July 3, 2019.
For more information about attending AX, check out our How to Attend guide.