Celebrating Community through Art!
After a few years hiatus, we are bringing back the art show to its former glory! Now located in the Entertainment Hall, the Art Show will feature traditional, sculpture, and models.
Art Show Pre-Registration Policy
General Information and Guidelines
Types of Art that can be displayed:
- Original Painting and or Drawing (Traditional Media Only.)
- Please note digital art and prints are not accepted.
- Sculpture (traditional mediums such as wood, paper-mâché, metal, clay, etc.), custom-painted and/or handmade figures are accepted.
- Please note 3D printed items will not be accepted.
Note: We will NOT be selling the art but Artist are more than welcome to include a business card in their art for contacting purposes.
- All art must be family friendly and follow and strict PG guideline. We’re using the movie rating system as a guideline.
- The SPJA reserves the right to refuse any art deemed inappropriate.
- The SPJA is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged art displayed at the Art Show.
For Original Paintings and Drawings:
Paintings and Drawings will be displayed on panels; the pieces displayed on panels must be no larger than 37”w x 36”h. If you are entering only one piece, your art will be displayed with other artists’ work. There will be a maximum of 50 panels, which will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Display Options & Costs: Depending on how the size/quantity of art pieces you want to display, there are two options:
- $10 fee for renting a Full Panel (Full panel size: 38”w x 73”h. Recommended Display Area: 38″Wx36″H / one side only / 5 piece maximum): $20.00
- $5 fee for hanging one art piece (A single hanging art piece cannot exceed 37”W x 36”H. If an art piece is 37”w x 36”h, you must purchase a full panel.
- Additional Information:
- Weight limit: 7 lbs.
- All hanging art must be framed and wired for mounting prior to entering the pieces in the Art Show. Absolutely NO GLASS will be allowed in any Clear plastic or acrylic such as Plexiglas is advised.
- Artist information can be displayed on hanging art in the form of a business card in the bottom right corner of the piece.
Sculptures, custom-painted figures and/or handmade figures will be shown in a display case. Participants can choose to rent an entire shelf to display multiple items or simply display one item along with other artists’ works. Dimensions and photos coming soon.
- Display Options & Costs:
- $10 dee for renting Display Case Whole Shelf
- $5 fee for displaying one item
- Additional Information:
- Shelf dimensions TBD. Please make sure your pieces fit these dimensions.
- Sculptures and figures must be able to stand on its own, with no additional support needed.
- Artist information can be displayed with sculptures in the form of a business card.
Art Show Registration/At Con Drop off:
Artists may reserve space (panel or shelf) for the Art Show on site on Day 0 outside of the West Hall from 10 AM – 5 PM.
To register, please do the following:
- Check-in at Art Show Registration and fill out form with contact information.
- Your art piece(s) will be tagged and processed for display. To speed up this process please have your ID ready.
- Art will be displayed from 7/1/2016 to 7/4/2016 in the Art Show area of the Entertainment Hall.
- Participants must return to the Art Show area on Day 4, July 4th, anytime between 3-7pm to pick up their art. SPJA cannot guarantee the return of any items not picked up during this timeframe. Any items left with Art Show after 7PM on Day 4 will become the property of the SPJA.
Large walls of paper are available for attendees to leave their mark at Anime Expo.
- NO inappropriate drawings. Please be mindful of the children that attend Anime Expo.
- Do not write down links to any website. Advertising is not permitted.
- Do not draw over other pieces of art without consent from artist.
- Do not harass or bully other attendees.
- Do not steal any art supplies or wall art.
- Do not rip any of the paper off for drawing
- Feel free to take pictures or the artwork displayed on the walls.
Breaking any of these rules may result in censorship by AX Volunteers, badge confiscation, and/or immediate removal from the convention.
We invite artists each year to provide live art throughout the Anime Expo weekend. The finished pieces are usually available for sale at the end of the weekend.
The Anime world’s favorite chalk art duo is back at Anime Expo 2016! Devon and Lexi (the Chalk Twins) both received majors in studio art and studied a wide variety of art media through the University of Georgia program in Cortona, Italy. In addition to their formal study in art, Devon and Lexi have enjoyed tremendous success as chalk artists. For the past eleven years they have been participating in chalk art competitions where they have been awarded in 17 out of 21 events. Now they bring their live chalking performances to conventions and special events around the country. You can see more of their work online at www.chalktwins.com, www.facebook.com/chalktwins and chalktwins.deviantart.com. They will be working live on a large, epic piece throughout the convention but feel free to interrupt them to talk about art, anime, twin stuff – whatever you like!