Black Friday Contest Rules
Anime Expo® 2014 Black Friday Sweepstakes
No Purchase Necessary. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
- 1. ELIGIBILITY. The Anime Expo® 2014 Black Friday Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is open to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older at the start of the Sweepstakes (“Entrants”). Void in the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Military installations in foreign countries, all other U.S. territories and possessions and wherever else restricted or prohibited by law. Sweepstakes is sponsored by Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, 1522 Brookhollow Drive, #1, Santa Ana, CA 92705 (“Sponsor”). Employees, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, prize providers and the promotion and advertising agencies of any aforementioned entity (“Sweepstakes Entities”), and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Sweepstakes, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible.
- 2. SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD. The Sweepstakes begins at 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on November 29, 2013 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. PT on December 2, 2013 (the “Sweepstakes Period”).
- 3. HOW TO ENTER. There are two ways to enter the Sweepstakes.
Anime Expo Entries: Register to attend Anime Expo 2014 (Premiere Fan or 4-day general attendee badge) during the Promotion Period and you will be automatically entered for a chance to win. To register for Anime Expo® 2014, please visit https://www2.cmrreg.com/animeexpo_2014/register.aspx and complete and submit the registration form.
Mail In Entries: Clearly print your complete name, mailing address, city, state, zip code, email address, and day-time phone number on a 3” x 5” card or piece of paper and mail to: Anime Expo Black Friday Sweepstakes, 2781 W MacArthur Blvd, Suite B #617, Santa Ana, CA 92704. Entry must be mailed in a hand-addressed stamped envelope, postmarked by December 2, 2013 and received by December 9, 2013 to be eligible for the drawing.
Only one entry per natural person during the Sweepstakes Period regardless of method of entry.
All contact information provided must be valid, current and complete. No hand or e-mail deliveries will be accepted. All entries submitted become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for late, incomplete, void, corrupted, garbled, misdirected, or otherwise unintelligible Entries and for any problems, bugs or malfunctions Entrants may encounter when submitting their entry. Incomplete, garbled, corrupted or otherwise illegible entries are void and will not be accepted. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify false entries or entries suspected of being false and to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or violating these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify false entries or entries suspected of being false. Entries generated by a script, macro or other automated means will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a Selected Sweepstakes Entrant, the Selected Entrant will be deemed to be, in the case of online entries, the person in whose name the e-mail account governing the e-mail address in Entrant’s Anime Expo registration was opened and, in the case of mail-in entries the person whose name is written on the entry card. In the event a dispute regarding the identity of the individual who actually submitted an entry cannot be resolved to Sponsor’s satisfaction, the affected entry will be deemed ineligible.
- 4. ODDS. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- 5. SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF SELECTED ENTRANT: Each qualified entry will be entered into the random drawing for one Grand Prize. A random drawing by a representative of Sponsor, from among all eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period, will be held on or about December 27, 2013 (“Drawing Date”) to determine one (1) potential Grand Prize winner, ten (10) potential Second Prize winner and one (1) potential Third Prize winner (collectively, “Selected Entrant”). Selected Entrants will be notified by email. The Selected Entrant will be required to respond (as directed) within seventy eight (78) hours of attempted Notification. Selected Entrant’s failure to respond timely to the Notification may result in forfeiture of the Prize, and in such case, Sponsor may randomly select an alternate Selected Entrant from among the remaining eligible entries. The Selected Entrants may be sent a declaration of eligibility / liability / publicity release (“Release”). Except where prohibited by law, the Release will state that Selected Entrants agree to allow Sponsor to use (without additional compensation) his or her name, address, photograph, testimonial, likeness and/or biographical information for purposes of advertising and promotion (including, without limitation, posting on Sponsor’s website(s) and affiliated website(s)). Selected Entrants may also be required to provide name, U.S. Social Security Number (for tax form purposes), birth date, current address and phone number. Unless restricted by law, the Selected Entrants will be required to complete and return the Release within the time period specified therein. The Prize may be forfeited, and in such case, an alternate Selected Entrant may be randomly selected from among the remaining eligible entries if the Selected Entrant: (i) cannot be reached; (ii) does not respond to the Notification within 96 hours; (iii) fails to obtain all signatures on the Release and to return the documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules; or (iv) cannot accept or receive the Prize for any reason. Non-compliance with these Official Rules may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Selected Entrant. Sponsor will not make multiple attempts to contact Selected Entrant.
- 6. PRIZE. If eligible under these rules, one Grand Prize Selected Entrant, ten Second Prize Selected Entrants and one Third Prize Selected Entrant will each respectively receive:
Grand Prize: one (1) Mirai Millennium Smart Doll. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $800.
Second Prize: one of ten (10) 1-year Crunchyroll Premium subscriptions. ARV: $143.40 each; total ARV: $1434.
Third Prize: one (1) pair of Anime Expo® 2014 Premiere Fan Badges. ARV: $199 each; total ARV: $398. Anime Expo® will be held in Los Angeles California on July 3-6, 2014. Travel, transportation and accommodations not included.
Total ARV of prizes (“Prizes”): $2632.
Any difference between the actual value and the actual retail value will not be awarded. Prizes are not transferable and are non-refundable. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize (including if potential winner of an Anime Expo® prize is unable or unwilling to attend Anime Expo® for any reason), provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. All activities related to the Prize are at the Selected Entrants’ own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern activities. All Sweepstakes entries are subject to verification prior to awarding of any prize.
Receiving a prize may be a taxable event. Selected Entrants are solely responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use and any other expenses or costs not specifically stated within these Official Rules, including travel and accommodations.
All details regarding redemption of the Prize are at Sponsor’s sole discretion and will be provided at the time of Selected Entrant’s Notification. The Prize is subject to all terms and conditions of the Sweepstakes Entities, including but not limited to any terms and/or conditions contained in the prize provider’s contract and/or prize redemption letters. If Selected Entrant is unable to participate in or accept the prize or any portion of the prize for any reason the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor shall have no further obligation to the Selected Entrant. Prize will be delivered by email, U.S. Mail or overnight carrier (i.e., FEDEX, UPS), within Sponsor’s sole discretion, to the address provided by the Entrant. Prizes shall only be mailed in the United States. Approximate delivery date of the Prize is July 2014 (exact timing subject to change based upon availability of Prize). Any and all guarantees and warrantees of merchandise prize are subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions, and Prizes will be awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied offered by Sponsor.
- 7. CONDITIONS. All federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) arising from this Sweepstakes will be the sole responsibility of Selected Entrant and Selected Entrants may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded prize. Except where prohibited by law, the Selected Entrant’s entry and acceptance of the Prize constitutes permission for Sweepstakes Entities to use said Selected Entrant’s photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, and city and state address for promotional or advertising purposes in connection with these Sweepstakes on a worldwide basis, and in all forms of media, now or hereafter known, in perpetuity, without review, permission or further compensation. This Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws of the United States. By participating, Selected Entrant agrees to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sweepstakes Entities and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Official Rules. Selected Entrant also agrees to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sweepstakes Entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims, damages, disability, attorneys’ fees, and costs of litigation and settlement, as well as any liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from: (i) use, redemption, acceptance, possession, ownership, or misuse of any prize, (ii) participation in any activity, event, or excursion offered in connection with the prize, (iii) use of any facility, service and/or accommodation related to the prize, or (iv) participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in this Sweepstakes. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or violating these Official Rules, and reserves the right to cancel the Sweepstakes should it suspect fraud or for reasons out of the control of Sponsor. The Sweepstakes Entity shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or declarations, regardless of the method of transmission; (ii) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize, or from participation in the Sweepstakes; or (v) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Sweepstakes. Disputes regarding these Official Rules and/or this Sweepstakes will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California. By entering you consent to jurisdiction in the federal and state courts of California for the resolution of any and all disputes. Caution: any attempt to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the sweepstakes may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the sweepstakes. Should such an attempt be made, sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
- 8. GENERAL CONDITIONS. By participating, Entrants agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Official Rules. Any portion of the Sweepstakes may be canceled, suspended and/or modified, in whole or in part, if in our opinion any fraud, technical failure or other factor beyond our control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Sweepstakes. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsman-like or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, and Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate the Sweepstakes and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential winner(s) in a random drawing from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken. You may not enter with multiple identities or use any automated system, bot or other device or artifice to enter or obtain more than the maximum number of qualified entries. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.
- 10. WINNERS’ LIST AND SWEEPSTAKES RULES. To obtain a copy of these official rules within 90 day of the Sweepstakes Period, or to obtain a winner’s list within 90 days of the close of the Sweepstakes, please go to www.anime-expo.org/BlackFriday2013Winners or send your request and a SASE (VT residents need not affix postage) to “Anime Expo® 2014 Black Friday Sweepstakes,” c/o Meg Amo, Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, 1522 Brookhollow Drive, #1, Santa Ana, CA 92705.
© 2013 Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation. All rights reserved.