Code of Conduct
Effective Date: April 28, 2017
Anime Expo® and the SPJA reserve the right to modify and/or update this policy at any time in their sole discretion and without prior notice.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Following this simple Code of Conduct helps ensure a safe convention and that everyone will have fun. Your own good judgment and courtesy towards others are key.
Please watch out for each other, take care of one another, help those who need help, and be careful. Play it clean, sober, and safe! Please don’t leave the Event with strangers, and make sure that your friends know when you leave or if you are going home early.
- Please don’t hesitate to call security if you see anything suspicious.
- Minors should not go to hotel rooms with unknown adults.
To participate in and/or attend any SPJA Event (referred to below as the “Event” regardless of whether it’s Anime Expo, Project Anime, or another one of our Events), you must comply with this Code of Conduct in order to attend and/or participate in these Events. SPJA reserves the right to modify and/or update any SPJA policy at any time without prior notice. Violation of this Code of Conduct may result in forfeiture of your Event badge, your expulsion from the Event and/or termination of your position with SPJA. Where the Code of Conduct refers to “SPJA’s written consent”, such written consent may be in the form of a separate written exhibitor/sponsorship agreement, vendor agreement, facility rental agreement, or other form of written agreement or permit. The Los Angeles Event Facilities, event hotels, Microsoft Theater, NOVO theater, and all other places where any Event programming is scheduled are “Event Facilities”.
- Please be prepared to show proof of age and identification when entering the Event or any program at the Event. We will only accept the following forms of identification: government-issued driver’s licenses or identification cards, passports, or military identification.
- Please wear your Event badge at all times during the Event. Terms and conditions printed on the Badges apply to you and you must conduct yourself accordingly.
PROHIBITED ACTIONS AND ACTIVITIES
The following, as such violations are determined in SPJA’s sole discretion, are not permitted at the Event or its surrounding areas, including the parking lots, hotels, plazas, and structures:
- Failure to be appropriately clothed, as determined by the sole discretion of SPJA. Please follow local laws, rules, and regulations when selecting your costume.
- Assaulting, threatening, behaving inappropriately to another person, discriminating conduct of any nature whatsoever, making racial, religious, ethnic, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, or other slurs, bullying, and/or expressing any act of hatred towards another.
- Lewd or offensive behavior, such as profanity, obscene language or conduct, exposing nipples or genitals, making recordings in bathrooms, bedrooms, or of nipples, genitals or up skirts.
- Conducting commercial or business transactions without SPJA’s prior written consent, including without limitation, selling food or beverages from unauthorized carts, stands, or ice chests inside or outside Event venues or hotels; solicitation of money, contributions, or donations; distribution of commercial advertising or promotional material of any kind, such as signs, flyers, cards, or offers of discounts on rides, or other products or services; or offering samples of items which are sold, available for sale, or available in exchange for a donation or contribution.
- Unlawful conduct or failure to comply with the policies, rules, or instructions of SPJA, Event staff, the Event facility, the hotel affiliated with the Event, or law enforcement officers.
- Smoking / Vaping:
- Never Inside: No smoking or vaping is permitted inside any of the Event Facilities, unless there is a place specifically designated by the Event Facility that permits either.
- Limited Outside: Smoking or vaping must be at least 20 feet away from all entrances per California Government Code Sections 7596-7598; no smoking is permitted in outdoor dining areas LAMC 41.50 B 18 b.
- Possessing any open can, bottle or other receptacle containing alcoholic beverages, except in areas specifically designated for the consumption of alcohol and in compliance with the SPJA’s Alcohol Policy.
- Possessing any illegal substance. SPJA DOES NOT tolerate illegal substances in or around Events.
- Any action that impedes the flow of traffic, creates a potential or actual hazardous condition, or is deemed to interfere with Anime Expo. Individuals may be asked to move or discontinue their actions. By way of example, an individual may be asked to relocate or terminate an activity in order to disperse a crowd which impedes traffic flow.
- Any noise or music that is disruptive to other attendees or the operation of the Anime Expo.
- No Soliciting
- Riding Hoverboards / Skateboards / Non-ADA Scooters / Segways: if you have one of these, please check it in at bag check or, if it fits, please keep it inside your bag within the Event Facilities.
- Using Roller Skates / Roller Blades
- Weapons (Please see our “Weapons” for more info)
- Drones / UAV’s
- Illegal Substances
- Stickers / Adhesive Graphics (Keep them in your bags/pockets and off the walls/floors of the Event Facilities)
- All signs, whether for a costume prop or not, are prohibited unless approved in writing for use by Event staff.
- Non-Service Live Animals – we might make an exception for a living Unicorn. Please check in with Con Ops for written permission.
- Helium and Mylar Balloons
- Lasers or Similar Items
- Oversized Backpacks / Bags: No bags over the airplane carry-on size are permitted. As a point of reference, the size limit for a standard airplane carry-on is 22 x 14 x 9 inches. All bags, regardless of size, are subject to inspection at any time.
- Motorized Vehicles (i.e. go-karts or kids’ battery-operated vehicles.)
- Wheeled Carts / Wagons
- Confetti / Loose Glitter (Glitter used on your costumes is OK)
- Flammable Liquids
- Open-Flame Use
- Any activity prohibited by law and/or prohibited by any Event Facilities.