At Anime Expo, we celebrate the creativity of cosplayers and encourage everyone to cosplay whomever they wish–regardless of size, gender, age, religion, shape, color, or even species. Cosplay is all about having fun!
We simply ask that you follow the guidelines below and please keep in mind that AX is an all-ages event.
- Shoes are required at all times.
- Cosplaying a character that’s barefoot? Please check out this tutorial on how to make “invisible shoes.”
- Costumes and clothing should not expose the body in such a way as to be deemed indecent exposure by the city of Los Angeles or the state of California. Private parts must be covered in an opaque material that will not slip or have gaps.
- Males wearing tight-fitting costumes are required to wear a dance belt.
- Costumes worn on the convention floor must not obstruct or impede the flow of traffic or entryways. If the costume cannot fit through a standard doorway, it may not be allowed during general convention hours. Exceptions may be made day-of for Masquerade contestants.
- Attendees with bulky costumes, costumes that obscure the vision, or costumes with large extensions such as wings or spikes, should have a designated “handler,” to assist them through the hallways and crowds.
- Functioning wheels cannot be used as part of a costume or prop (i.e. anything that you might ride, push, or pull). We love your creativity, but please save the wheeled costumes/props for your photoshoots.
- No costumes may be realistic depictions of American law enforcement, current American military uniforms, or any official government agency. “Vintage,” historical, any non-current uniforms, and any military or police-style costumes may be addressed at the convention’s discretion (i.e., Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, etc.)
These guidelines are subject to SPJA’s discretion and may change without notice.