So you’re ready to dive into the world of anime? Whether you’re an old-school anime aficionado or brand new to the fandom, you’re in the right place. The anime experts at Toynk.com have put together the ultimate list to teach you how to watch anime…the RIGHT way.
From the best merch to the perfect snacks, the below list will help you tune in to your favorite animated adventures in style.
How to Watch Anime
#1 Prepare the Snacks
You don’t wanna be doing the Naruto run in search of food right in the middle of your favorite show. (You’ll miss the best part!) So gather your snacks ahead of time. Bonus points if you serve them in a ramen bowl or eat them with chopsticks.
Anime-Inspired Snack Suggestions
- Pocky — a stick-like crunchy biscuit available in many flavors including chocolate, matcha green tea, and more.
- Ramen — a traditional Japanese noodle dish.
- Edamame — roasted soybeans.
- Mochi — a bun-shaped rice-based Japanese dessert that’s not too sweet.
- Wasabi Peas — freeze-dried peas covered in crunchy wasabi paste (Warning: These are spicy!)
- Boba Tea — a sweet tea-based drink made with chewy Tapioca balls.
#2 Get Out Your Coziest Essentials
Being comfortable should absolutely be part of any hero’s journey. To create the ideal environment for your anime watch session, grab a stockpile of soft blankets, fluffy pillows (or the anime body pillows you’ve got not-so-secretly stashed in your room), warm robes, or put on your favorite hoodie.
Cozy Anime Must-Haves
- A cuddly throw blanket
- An anime-themed pillow
- A warm bathrobe (How fun is this Dragon Ball Z Goku Uniform Robe?!)
- An officially licensed hoodie
- A pair of cozy socks or slippers
#3 Have Your Plushies Tag Along (We Know You Have Them)
You can’t settle in for a watch session without a good cuddle buddy. All of your favorite anime stars have a good sidekick by their side, and you should too! Cuddle up with Appa from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pikachu from Pokémon, or any friendly plushie pal of your choosing.
#4 Dub vs. Sub
Japanese anime can be watched by non-native speakers in one of two ways. (You already know where this is heading.) It’s the classic tale of dub vs. sub. While this age-old debate among otaku shows no signs of being resolved anytime soon, we like to think there’s merit to both versions.
If you’re settling in for an all-day marathon, a group watch party, or you’re just a true purist at heart, watching anime with subtitles may be the best choice for you.
If you’re busy or plan to have a show playing in the background, we suggest turning on dubbed anime. That will allow you to follow along with the story more easily while catching up on house chores or running errands.
#5 Choose a Genre
One fun thing about anime is that there is a genre out there for every viewer. From fantasy and horror to comedy and action, you can bet that anime has it all. Choose a genre that suits your mood and get to watching.
From the classics to new-age favorites, here’s a handful of suggestions from our personal anime watchlist to check out:
- Naruto: Shippuden (Action, Comedy)
- Fairy Tail (Action, Comedy, Drama)
- One Piece (Adventure, Fantasy)
- Black Clover (Adventure, Fantasy)
- Sailor Moon (Magical Girl, Fantasy, Action)
- Madoka Magica (Magical Girl, Dark Fantasy, Thriller)
- Fruits Basket (Romance, Drama)
- Yuri on Ice (Sports Anime, Romance)
- Demon Slayer (Dark Fantasy, Adventure)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (Science Fantasy, Action)
- Seven Deadly Sins (Fantasy, Adventure)
- Hunter X Hunter (Fantasy, Adventure)
- Inuyasha (Action, Adventure)
- Stone (Science Fiction, Apocalyptic)
- Anything from Studio Ghibli’s catalogue (Fantasy, Action, Drama)
#6 Your Actions Have Consequences. Always Be Prepared.
We know, it sounds a little ominous. But think about it. Your choice of series or movie will determine how the rest of your day will go, so it’s important to be prepared for anything.
Make sure to get out those tissue boxes if you’re planning to watch something sad (Your Lie in April, anyone?). If you’re one of those people who, for some unexplained reason, likes to terrify themselves with horror, you’re gonna want a pillow or blanket to hide behind for all those jump scares.
Basically, grab whatever essentials you think you might need to get through your viewing.
#7 Don’t Forget To Take a Break
Our favorite animated worlds have a way of drawing us into their stories. Don’t forget to schedule a bathroom break in between episodes. Stretch your legs, crack your back, and loosen up those muscles before diving back into a world of sailor senshi, ninjas, sorcerers, or slayers. It’s also the perfect time to replenish your snacks!
#8 Sit Back and Enjoy the Show
That’s everything! Now that you’re fully prepared to watch anime, grab the remote, kick back, and enjoy the show.
Can’t Get Enough Anime?
Don’t miss this year’s Anime Expo from July 1st-4th in Los Angeles. Pick up your limited edition Naruto Shippuden and Jujutsu Kaisen collector’s pins exclusively at Booth #1022 from Toynk.
Not going to the show? Use the code “AX15” to get 15% OFF any Toynk.com order for a limited time. Hurry! This one-time offer ends 7/31/2022. (Some exclusions apply.)