Terms of Participation and Liability Release & Waiver
By registering or participating in Anime Expo (AX) and or Project Anime (PA), you agree to be legally bound by SPJA’s Terms of Participation, Liability Release & Waiver, & SPJA Policies at www.anime-expo.org/legal. PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY. Failure to agree and comply will deny you access to Anime Expo and or Project Anime.
Using this badge at AX and or PA confirms you read & agree to be bound by the Terms of Participation, Release & Waiver, & SPJA Policies at www.anime-expo.org/legal. If not, please turn in the badge to SPJA and leave AX and or PA.
LAST UPDATED: 1/3/2020 Anime Expo, Project Anime and the SPJA reserve the right to modify and/or update this policy at any time in their sole discretion and without prior notice.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER. THE FOLLOWING TERMS OF PARTICIPATION INCLUDE A LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER AND ARE A LEGAL CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU, AN INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT, OR A SINGLE ENTITY AND THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF JAPANESE ANIMATION (“SPJA”).
“Venue” means the facility at which the Event is held. “Official Hotels” are hotels that SPJA has explicitly designated for the Event. The “City” refers to the city in which the Event is held, such as the City of Los Angeles or Tokyo.
- INDIVIDUALS: THE TERMS “YOU,” “YOUR,” AND “YOURS” REFERS TO YOU, THE INDIVIDUAL PERSON REGISTERING FOR AN SPJA EVENT OR USING AN SPJA WEBSITE. IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR ANOTHER PERSON, THEN YOU MUST ASK THEM TO AGREE TO READ AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, AND GIVE THEM THEIR PRINTED TICKET THAT INCORPORATES THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION. BY REGISTERING FOR, ATTENDING, VOLUNTEERING, OR PARTICPATING IN ANIME EXPO, PROJECT ANIME, OR ANY OTHER SHOW, CONVENTION, MEETING, PANEL, WORKSHOP, OR EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA (an “SPJA Event”), OR BY REGISTERING FOR, ACCESSING, BROWSING, DOWNLOADING FROM OR USING THE SPJA WEBSITE OR A WEBSITE FOR ANY EVENT PRODUCED BY SPJA, such as www.anime-expo.org and www.project-anime.org (the “SPJA Websites”), YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND TO THE LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER INCLUDED HERE. IF AT ANY TIME YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATE YOUR PARTICIPATION IN AN SPJA EVENT OR TERMINATE YOUR USE OF THE SPJA WEBSITE.
- ORGANIZATIONS: IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR AN SPJA EVENT OR USING THE SPJA WEBSITE ON BEHALF OF A COMPANY, ENTITY, OR ORGANIZATION (COLLECTIVELY, A “PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATION") THEN YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU: (I) ARE AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF THAT PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATION WITH THE AUTHORITY TO BIND SUCH ORGANIZATION; (II) HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION; AND (III) AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION ON BEHALF OF SUCH SUBSCRIBING ORGANIZATION AND ANYONE PARTICIPATING IN AN SPJA EVENT FOR AND ON YOUR ORGANIZATION’S BEHALF.
- LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER. You agree that your participation in any SPJA Event is voluntary. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SOME SPJA EVENTS AND SOME ACTIVITIES AT SPJA EVENTS, SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO DANCING, ROLE PLAYING, COSPLAY, STANDING IN LINES, AND BEING IN LARGE CROWDS, HAVE INHERENT RISKS AND DANGERS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ACTS OF TERRORISM, DEATH, INJURY AND SERIOUS BODILY HARM TO YOUR PERSON AND/OR PROPERTY. YOU AGREE THAT AS A CONDITION OF BEING PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY ACTIVITY AT AN SPJA EVENT, YOU ASSUME AND ACCEPT ALL RISKS OF HARM, LOSS, OR INJURY TO YOUR PERSON OR PROPERTY THAT MAY ARISE FROM OR BE RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN SUCH ACTIVITY. YOU HEREBY WAIVE AND RELEASE, indemnify, and hold harmless SPJA, the City, the Venue, the Official Hotels, and their respective officers, directors, members, employees, agents, affiliates, contractors, volunteers, managers, sponsors, funders, attendees, public officials, vendors, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”), from any and all demands, damages, losses, liabilities, causes of action, lawsuits, attorneys’ fees, costs, and/or claims of every kind and nature, whether known or unknown, in law or equity, that You ever had or may have, arising from or in any way related to Your participation in an SPJA Event or your use of an SPJA Website, including acts or omissions by third parties such as emergency or medical providers and vendors of food, drink, or alcohol. SPJA reserves the right, at Your expense, to assume the defense and control of any matter for which You are required to indemnify SPJA, and You agree to cooperate with SPJA’s defense of these claims. SPJA will use reasonable efforts to notify You of any such claim, action, or proceeding upon SPJA learning of any such claim, action, or proceeding. You agree that You will participate only in SPJA Event activities that You are qualified to participate in. You are aware that SPJA Events will be conducted in facilities open to the public. You agree and warrant that if at any time You believe conditions of any SPJA Event activity to be unsafe, You will immediately discontinue further participation in any such activity. You intend and desire for this Waiver and Liability Release to be interpreted as broadly as permitted under California law. This Waiver and Liability Release does NOT apply to any acts of gross negligence or intentional, willful, or wanton misconduct on the part of any Released Party. If You become ill or are injured during Your participation of an SPJA Event, You authorize SPJA, the Venue, or any Official Hotel to seek and obtain such emergency or medical services as may be deemed necessary or appropriate at the time, but understand and agree that they shall not be obligated to do so, and that the liability release and waiver above applies to the provision of such emergency or medical care or services. You may be billed and agree to pay for any such services, including ambulance transport.
- DAMAGE YOU CAUSE. You agree that if You break, deface, damage, or destroy any real or personal property, or hurt or injure another person, in connection with Your participation in an SPJA Event, including but not limited to the property of SPJA, the Venue, any Official Hotel, or the City, You shall be solely and personally liable and responsible for paying any and all costs to repair or replace such property, injury and care of such persons, and incidental or consequential damages relating to the damaged property or personal injury.
- MODIFICATION OF THESE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND POLICIES. SPJA reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these TOP and SPJA Policies at any time without prior notice. If SPJA changes these TOP, we will provide you notice of these changes, by sending an email, posting a notice on the SPJA Website or updating the "Last Updated" date on the SPJA Websites. Please check these TOP and any SPJA Policies periodically for any changes. Your continued participation in SPJA Events and use of SPJA Websites after the posting of any policy change constitutes your binding acceptance of such change. For any material changes to these TOP, the amended terms will automatically be effective thirty days after they are initially posted on an SPJA Website unless you contact us to discuss any questions or comments during that time period. We will always make a reasonable effort to notify you if we do change these TOP.
- GENERAL TERMS. No waiver or amendment of any provision of these TOP will be effective unless in writing. These TOP shall be construed using the laws of the State of California, except as they may apply to conflicts of law. The language in all parts of these TOP shall be construed as a whole in accordance with its fair meaning, not for or against any party, and without regard to any statutes that provide for the language of an agreement to be construed against the drafter. If any provision herein is determined to be unenforceable, that provision shall be severed, and all other provisions shall remain in effect. You consent to the jurisdiction of any federal or state court within the County of Los Angeles, State of California. These TOP shall bind and be for the benefit of Yourself, SPJA, and each of the respective party’s heirs, fiduciaries, successors, and assigns. You have not relied upon any promise, representation, or warranty in signing these TOP. These TOP will continue in full force and effect even after the conclusion of the Event. You understand and agree that your electronic submission of agreement to these TOP constitutes an electronic signature that is as legally binding as your signature on a hard copy of the Waiver. Further, You agree that no certification authority or other third-party verification is required to validate this electronic signature, and that the lack of such certification or third-party verification shall not in any way effect the legal enforceability of these TOP.
YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF THIS PARTICIPATION AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER, AND SUBMIT THIS REGISTRATION FORM VOLUNTARILY, OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL AND FREE OF PRESSURE, DURESS, OR THREAT OF DURESS. I HAVE READ THESE ENTIRE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION AND THE SPJA POLICIES AT WWW.ANIME-EXPO.ORG/LEGAL CAREFULLY. YOUUNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY ACCEPTING THESE TOP AND LIABILITY RELEASE & WAIVER, YOU HAVE GIVEN UP CONSIDERABLE FUTURE LEGAL RIGHTS. YOUR CHECKING THE BOX SAYING THAT YOU AGREE OR SUBMITTING THIS REGISTRATION APPLICATION IS PROOF THAT YOU INTEND AND AGREE TO SIGN AND BE FULLY BOUND BY A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL WAIVER AND RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.